Name:
Location: Berkeley, CA, United States

Monday, November 06, 2006

In 24 hours things will be pretty much the same...

It makes no difference whom you vote for -- the two parties are really one party representing four percent of the people.
- Gore Vidal

I had big plans to put together some comments with recommendations for voting but after looking at the candidates I thought better of it. There is a reason for my being nonpartisan.

Much of my voting was against things as opposed to feeling like I was voting in favor of something I could get excited about. I vote against Arnold. I wish I could have followed the words of Ralph Nader who wrote, "Vote your conscience, not your fear!" My conscience was saying yes for the initiatives 1A-1E but rejected most.

My choices on the propositions were in concrete early. That did not stop me from watching the insanity of the campaigns. Trust me... I am on the side of being in an initiative state. Initiatives can be an avenue for making changes benefitting the Common Wealth when politicians are under the influence of private interests in Sacramento. Unfortunately, most of the propositions are created by private interests or folk ruled by emotion. This is the day before the election and I am keeping things as simple as possible.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face.
- Albert Camus

How some of these measures made the ballot is beyond me but my choices for the record are:

NO on Props 83, 84 and 85!
YES on Props 86, 87, 88, 89 & 90!

I did a lot of chawing with a number of folk and hope I impacted them enough to help create the above results.

The most peculiar reason I heard for voting against an increase in cigarette taxes was, "The smokers are already paying enough of a penalty for their behavior." My response is the expense smokers cause to bear on the healthcare system is not even close to being covered with the new taxes on tobacco products.

Enough for now... May you have taken the time to vote!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home