Name:
Location: Berkeley, CA, United States

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Flammia Method? Sure... Why not?

CA-SB412 is in the works. As it stands now, massage will be defined as any form of structured touch. Now, even more than ever, I do not like it. Massage and massage therapy as taught in the schools is only one form of structured touch. There are many different paths to learning touch.

Just recently I did a luncheon presentation in the Berkeley City Club a beautiful Julia Morgan building on Durant Street in Berkeley. The audience was the Berkeley City Commons Club, a group that meets weekly for a luncheon and speech and has quite a range of speakers. I was flattered to be invited and by 'Googling' Berkeley City Commons Club you will understand why for the quality of speakers they have had both past and present. The title of my talk was 'The Power of Touch'.

I opened my presentation by telling how massage was not licensed in California and offered reasons as to why that should continue to be the case. I also made the club members aware of the California Health Freedom Coalition and their success in getting SB577 passed removing the fear of being arrested for practicing medicine without a license by those offering healing systems outside the allopathic model if they met certain conditions. I then offered up some self help techniques including breathing exercises, some acupressure points and other self help suggestions as well as preaching about the benefits of massage and touch. The presentation was the first time I took responsibility for my own "style" referring to my work as The Flammia Touch.

I was asked to speak for 30 or so minutes and to be prepared to answer questions to fill the rest of a one hour time frame. As the saying goes, the rest is history. I had a wonderful time doing the presentation and from the questions it was obvious the audience was listening enjoyed it and wanted to hear more. I will share some of the questions and my off the cuff, extemparaneous answers after I listen to the tape of my presentation that I am promised. The presentation was recorded by a (from what I am told) good engineer.

I got a wonderful thank you letter from the president of the club. In the letter, he refers to the Flammia Method. hmmmm..I did like that. The Flammia Touch is my own and what I could teach would be called the Flammia Method. There is a structure to my touch/work and there is certainly a method to my madness.

SO! Part of what this post is about is my asking those who have received my work to tell me what it is that may have been unique in my work that they have not been able to find elsewhere. For one, I have never had one practitioner ever tell me to say "duh" and explain why it is a good thing to do and from the initial reactions of those who have worked with me, neither have they.

I have my mission, "Setting the world straight, one person at a time." How I perceive myself is as a service (as opposed to helping and healing) with the simple goals of helping folk to stand taller and breath easier by educating them in how to get themselves out of contraction in order to do so. In keeping with avoiding healing, I look at myself as "a very heavy ounce of prevention" slowing or sometimes getting lucky in preventing folk from falling more into the conditions that brought them to my door.

It's late and I will have to stop for now and come back to this to clarify what I need from you to lend clarity to The Flammia Touch and The Flammia Method.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home